Research Programmer Analyst Senior- Remote
945 N 12th St
Milwaukee, WI 53233
3075 Highland Pkwy
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Hours Per Week:
- Assists with defining functional requirements, formulates technical specifications, and researches and evaluates alternatives for complex custom applications and processes that support research.
- Develops, tests, debugs, documents, and maintains automated complex extract, transform, and load (ETL) processes that comprise data infrastructure for research. Recognizes opportunities to leverage adjacent technologies to improve data infrastructure. Coordinates the technical aspect of and occasionally participates in data mapping and cleaning activities. Makes recommendations and improves data quality within research data infrastructure.
- Implements complex features, develops complex test cases, fixes complex defects, and documents self-contained applications written in Java or R that are used within research data infrastructure, to support the Biorepository and Specimen Resource Center (BSRC), and on research applications. Deploys and develops processes to deploy changes to on-premises and cloud production environments. Guide development efforts of more junior team members.
- Develops, tests, and debugs complex SQL and/or complex R, Python, or SAS code to deliver reproduceable and scalable analysis-ready datasets. Documents processes and rationales with code. Provides data dictionaries and descriptive statistics with datasets as appropriate.
- Identifies code that can be generalized and repurposed into functions and methods within internal libraries and packages. Develops high-level technical specifications.
- Ensures datasets are accessible and provided to research investigators and stakeholders in a manner consistent with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Institutional Review Board (IRB), legal agreements, policies and procedures, and other appropriate standards.
- Increases collaboration, efficiency, and standardization within the department by contributing and improving documentation, code repositories, and internal packages. Regularly reviews pull requests. Mentor other analysts. Maintains a knowledge base of design techniques, software, and language capabilities through formal education, reading, networking, and daily activities. Engages with larger analytics community.
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- Epic Caboodle Data Model certification issued by Epic. needs to be obtained within 6 months, and
- Epic Clarity Data Model certification issued by Epic (CLR110). needs to be obtained within 6 months, and
- Epic Clinical Data Model certification issued by Epic (COG240). needs to be obtained within 6 months.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Typically requires 5 years of experience in data management and integration, design and development, program management, and/or report writing.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Experience with data reporting, data integration, or data warehouse design and management.
- Understanding of managing and processing data in a cloud environment.
- Proficient in building and maintaining ETL processes through ETL tools (e.g., Pentaho Data Integration).
- Expert in SQL and proficient with database-specific procedural languages (e.g., PL/SQL, T-SQL).
- Expert in statistically oriented programming languages (e.g., R, Python, SAS) or Java.
- Moderate understanding of health care data, processes and workflows, and research methodology with strong analytical, logic and creativity skills.
- Demonstrates an ongoing thirst for knowledge and experience in an ever-changing climate of new and improved software development tools, technologies, and methodologies.
- Knowledge of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) patient confidentiality and privacy regulations.
- Ability to explain technical subjects to non-technical clients.
- Ability to work independently, or as part of a team and balance multiple priorities.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Position may require travel which may result in exposure to road and weather hazards.
- Exposed to normal office environment.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Information Technology at Advocate Aurora
Advocate Aurora Health is committed to diversity and inclusion every single day and in everything we do. Diversity lives in the differences, great and small, that matter to us and make each of us unique – from our age and the color of our skin, to our abilities and the things we believe in. We know that empowering our differences inspires creativity that leads to innovative solutions – for our team members, consumers and communities. And because health care is built upon relationships, it’s important for the people we serve to be able to trust us to meet their unique needs. By cultivating an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion, we create a welcoming environment where our patients can heal, our team members can thrive and our business can grow. As a team member, working in a diverse setting allows you the chance to grow in ways that will broaden your perspective to deliver the best possible patient care.